Part of the journey my family has been on for the last few years is learning how to enjoy foods that are great for us in new and, sometimes, unusual ways.
Take avocados, these are amazing little fruit…well are they actually fruit? For instance, did you know this about avocados?
- They have more potassium than a banana?
- They are high in protein (and one of only a few fruit that even have protein)?
- They can be used in place of butter and other less healthy options while cooking?
- They are full of other nutrients like Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin B5 and B6, and Vitamin E?
- They are chalked full of health monosaturated fatty acids, which are important for healthy brain function and reducing inflammation?
- They can help reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels?
- And much more!
Ok, so now that you are also convinced that avocados are a MUST add to your grocery list, what do you do with them? I mean, not everyone loves guacamole, right?
We were introduced to an AMAZING recipe thanks to the Vitamix demonstration at our local Costco, and our kids have been loving avocados ever since! This is a very healthy ice cream recipe that uses avocado as a primary ingredient. I mean, who doesn’t love ice cream, and if we can also add the nutritional value of avocado without degrading the taste, that’s a bonus right?
Here’s the recipe that we have found. We personally have a Vitamix to make it super easy to make this wonderful treat. It has a programmed feature, so you just turn the dial, and hit the button once all the ingredients are added, then wait while it does all the work!
Incredible Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 fresh avocado
- 3/4 cup Fair Life Chocolate Milk
- 1 cup coconut water (adds electrolytes)
- 1 tbs cocao powder
- 2 tbs coconut palm sugar or organic maple syrup
- 2.5 – 3 cups ice
Add all of this to the blender, hit the button, and in a few short minutes, you have an incredible ice cream that our kids now prefer to any store bought flavors.